God willing, I will turn 33 next month, so I thought it would be fun to capture random things I’ve learned to be true over the years. A few are in order of importance, most are not. I’ll do a couple more of these posts over the next few weeks leading to my birthday.
1.God exists independent of human acceptance. Whether one believes or doesn’t believe has on bearing on God’s existence. He is real. It’s a fact that can’t and won’t be changed. As written in Philippians 2:10-11, there will be a time when “at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
2. Don’t give a compliment that you don’t mean. Lying to spare someone’s feelings will hurt in the long run when that person finds out the truth – and s/he will.
3. The other side of that coin, don’t use “I’m just keeping it real” as an excuse to be a jerk. Yes, speak the truth, but “speak the truth in love”. (Ephesians 4:15)
5. I don’t trust “I miss you” posted on social media from people who make no effort to stay in touch. Empty words mean nothing.
6. On the topic of friends, I know I’ve been a jerk to my ones lately. I’ve been busy, yes, but I should have made time to call, text, meet up – even if it was just once a month. I will do better.
7. Custard does not belong in milkshakes. You hear that, Shake Shack? Unacceptable.
8. Frozen yogurt is NEVER an acceptable substitute for ice cream. There is no acceptable substitute for ice cream.
9. I’ve been incredibly blessed to have my mother as a mom. I apologize for the years 13-18 when I swore I “hated” her for ruining my life because she cared enough to love me, to provide shelter, food and clothing, and to discipline me.
10. Grandparents are awesome!
11. I Know This Much Is True also happens to be my favorite Wally Lamb book.